Acid attack: Afoko's brother charged with murder; remanded - News Hunter Magazine


Home Top Ad


Post Top Ad


Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Acid attack: Afoko's brother charged with murder; remanded

An Accra Magistrate Court has remanded the junior brother of New
Patriotic Party Chairman Paul Afoko to Police custody.

Gregory Afoko is standing trial for the murder of Upper East Region
chairman of the party, Adams Mahama.

Mr Mahama died last week Thursday after he was attacked with acid the
night before.

He has been buried according to Islamic traditions.

Two suspects, including Gregory Afoko, brother of the party chairman
has been fingered for the attack. He has since been arrested and
hauled before a magistrate's court in Accra.

Joy News' Kwakye Afreh Nuamah who was in court said there was heated
arguments between the two opposing counsel over a bail application
brought by defence attorneys.

The state prosecutor Superintendent Francis Baah whilereading the
charges mentioned the suspect as being the brother ofthe NPP chair,
Paul Afoko, a comment the defence counsel, Stephen Ampah Korsah was
not happy about.The defence counsel quickly interjected drawing the
court's attention that it was unnecessary to link the NPP chair to
the case because he had nothing to do with it.

The prosecution then appealed to the Magistrate, Worlanyo Kotoku to
keep the suspect on remand until they have concluded with the
investigation, a request Mr Korsah rose against.

He said the prosecution had no basis to appeal for remand since ithas
no evidence to substantiate the charges of murder leveled against his

But the prosecution said it has prima facie evidence but needed time
to conclude its full investigations.

Superintendent Baah reminded the counsel on the opposing side that
murder offences are non-bailable and the suspect had to be kept in
police custody.

The Magistrate, Worlanyo Kotoku ruled in favour of the prosecution and
admitted the suspect to policecustody to reappear on July 9, 2015.

Joy News' Afreh reported the suspect looked completely disoriented
throughout the trial and looked even more disappointed over the
ruling.With his dreadlocked hair, the suspect tried to hide his face
from the intrusive camera lenses of journalists when he was being
taken in and out of court.

Family members were present to sympathise with the suspect, Afreh reported.

The second suspect, yet to be named, is said to have fled the Upper
East with his wife and has left his baby behind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad