Twin Blasts Kill 31 in Nigerian City - News Hunter Magazine

Breaking

Home Top Ad

Loading...

Post Top Ad

Loading...

Friday, 12 December 2014

Twin Blasts Kill 31 in Nigerian City

ABUJA, NIGERIA—Twin suicide bombings Thursday in a crowded marketplace
in the north-central Nigerian city of Jos left at least 31 people
dead.

Yohanna Audu, National Emergency Management Agency spokesman for the
Jos area, said two cars packed with explosives detonated minutes apart
near a fast-food restaurant in city's main market, which was busy with
patrons buying items for the Christmas holiday.

Muhammed Tanko Yusuf, who witnessed the blast, said he rushed to the
area near the Mr. Biggs restaurant and saw 11 bodies. He said that
blood was all over the place and that many people were crying.

The second blast occurred about 50 meters (160 feet) away from the
first, he said, killing another 20 people.

NEMA spokesman Audu said he could not give an official estimate of the
number of wounded. Casualties were being taken to area hospitals, he
said.

Thursday's blast was near an area in Jos where two bombs exploded in
May, killing at least 118 people. That incident was blamed on the
radical Islamist group Boko Haram, which has carried out shootings,
bombings and kidnappings across northern Nigeria as part of its
five-year quest to establish a caliphate in the area.

No one claimed responsibility for Thursday's attack, but Audu said he
thought Boko Haram was behind it.

"The security agencies and emergency workers, they have cordoned off
the place, and they've evacuated the victims of the explosion to
different hospitals," he said. "And that's what we're doing at the
moment."

Audu said that while Boko Haram had recently deployed female suicide
bombers, both of the attackers in this case were men.
Violence in the region led President Goodluck Jonathan to declare a
state of emergency in three northeastern states last year. The number
of attacks since then has increased sharply, in the runup to elections
in February. Former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari will challenge
Jonathan at the polls for a second time.

On Wednesday, suicide bombers killed at least four people at a market
in Nigeria's second-largest city, Kano. Two female bombers set off
explosives in the parking lot of the Kantin Kwari market, a police
spokesman told VOA.

Nigeria's Daily Trust newspaper reported that at least 12 other people
were injured.

Boko Haram has been blamed for a series of attacks in Kano, including
the bombing of the city's central mosque late last month. That attack
killed more than 80 people.



Credit: VOA News

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad

Loading...

Pages